[box_info]Protect Your Face in winter for both Boysby Dr Adyasha Padhi[/box_info]
If you have super, duper sensitive skin, consider avoiding rinsing your face with tap water, which can contain harsh minerals that are especially drying to the .Instead use a cold cream like Pond’s to cleanse your face or use bottled spring water.
- • Instead of using soap high in their alkaline content, it is better to have your skin washed with paste of ground gram and yogurt.
- • In case you prefer using soap, make sure to use one with adequate moisturizing content. Soaps based on natural oils and glycerine like pears,imperial leathe,etc may turn out to be a healthy alternative.
- • Avoid using hot water for bathing; instead go for lukewarm water enriched with drops of glycerin or herbal oil such as tea tree oil to make up for the loss of moisture. Using a scrubber while having a bath will exfoliate the dry and dead skin leaving you feeling soft and fresh.
- • Skin may be similarly hydrated with cold creams and moisturizer oily in content. In place of water based moisturizers opted for during summer, go for the oily ones.
- • Skin toner containing essential oils or the rejuvenating elements of Vitamin E can prove to be similarly effective.
- • However if the facial skin is naturally oily, avoid using the same on face.
- • While going for manicure and pedicure, make sure to have your limbs soaked in lukewarm water enriched with drops of natural oils.
- • To prevent brittleness in nails, make sure to pamper your finger and toe nails with sufficient touches of oil, glycerin or moisturizers.
- • In order to overcome flaking, chapping and itchy cracks caused during winter, use cotton socks & gloves to have yourself adequately covered from the pinching chill of winter.
- • Avoid using facial packs and masks which suck out the natural oil content of the skin. Facial pack containing mud should be avoided for this reason. Rather go for cleansing milk and oil based pack.
- • Similarly a blend of yogurt, buttermilk and sour cream or the creamy layer of milk with respective ingredients being combined in small measure is helpful for activating the skin’s collagen content.
- • To overcome conditions of dryness and chap formation on lips, opt for a lip balm enriched with Vitamin E.
- • A vital skin care tip for winter involves bare minimum use of water. After a wash or shower, make sure to pat yourself completely dry.
- • In case your work demands recurrent exposure to water, make sure to use gloves to have the hands well protected.
- • Use humidifiers to have the indoor environment well hydrated and moisturized. With the help of a humidifier, winter harnessed dryness and conditions of cracks can be overcome.
- • One need not avoid using sun’s cream during winter, but it is always preferable using one with an increased moisturizing content.
Preparing Body Lotions and Masks for smooth and soft skin
- Body Lotions – A body lotion is a low to medium viscosity preparation intended for application on external skin and body, usually after bath. Many lotions, especially hand and face creams can be classified as cosmetics and not medicine. Its main purpose is to smoothen and soften the skin.
- Given below are some beauty tips and ways to prepare body lotions.
- Mix 1 table spoon of lime juice with 1 table spoon of Glycerin and 1 table spoon of rose water. Mix well and store it in a glass bottle. Apply daily half an hour before a bath or apply at bedtime and wash in the morning before bath.
- • In Winter season, right after a bath while the skin is still wet, rub some Baby oil into the skin gently to avoid dryness.
- • Make a paste with 2 tablespoons of oats and 1 tablespoons lime juice and milk. Apply on the body and wash after 5 minutes before a bath.
- • Take 1 cup of fresh rose petals with half a cup of milk. Add 1 teaspoon of gram flour and some Rose water. Make a paste and apply on arms and legs before bath. Wash after 10 minutes.
- • Mix 1 teaspoon of Vaseline with 1 teaspoon of Vitamin E oil and 1 teaspoon of Glycerin and apply over the entire body. Have a bath after an hour repeat this for a week or two.
Home Made Mask for Hands and Feet :
- • Papaya – Half cup
- • Pineapple – Half cup
- • Avocado – Half cup
- • Honey 4 tablespoons
- • Bran 1 cup
Make a paste out of the above ingredients and apply till elbows for hands and ankles for feet. Wash after it gets dried up. This helps to get soft and supple skin.
Home made face pack
• A ripe banana
- • 1 tbsp honey
- • Almond oil
Mash the ripe banana and mix some honey and almond oil in it. Apply on your face and wash off with lukewarm water after 15mins. Hello moisturized skin!
Drinking lots of water on a daily basis actually keeps your skin constantly moisturized. When the weather is dry, it sucks all of the moisture and water out of your skin leaving you with dry and cracked problems. Therefore, keeping hydrated is an easy home remedy that everyone should use.
Here’s a tip I use during the winter months: Apply extra virgin coconut oil on your freshly cleansed face. Use a warm, wet washcloth to massage the oil into the skin. This works to exfoliate and moisturize. You can also use this method on your body. Add sugar or salt to the oil to make your own scrub.
Regular exercise increase blood circulation and gives healthy glow to your skin. This is helpful especially during winter season when people love to stay indoors. Experts are of view that 20 to 30 minutes aerobic exercise/brisk walk three times a week is good for skin. In addition, this will also help you to be in shape and ready for summers.
[quote]Painful as well as an eyesore, cracked heels are a result of negligence towards your feet.
Like the rest of your body, you need to give your feet proper care and attention too. Here are a few home remedies that will help you keep your heels soft and supple in winter.[/quote]
- – Wash your feet carefully, every time you come from outside.
- – Exfoliate periodically. Use a foot scrubber to scrub the dead skin and brush away the dead skin with a small brush meant for feet. Rubbing a pumice stone is also helpful in clearing the dead skin.
- – Once you have cleaned your feet, apply a foot cream or petroleum jelly.
- – Once you are done applying the cream, wear cotton socks while you sleep, so that the skin absorbs the moisture and the cracks of the heels heal faster.
- – Another way to heel cracked heels is taking some Vaseline and mixing it with a little coconut oil and applying this mixture on your heels before going to bed. Wake up with happy feet Wash it off in the morning. This will also help in reducing the pain.
- – Try walking on the grass barefoot early every morning. This exercise rejuvenates the feet and improves the eyesight.
- – Always remember to wear shoes that you are comfortable in. Avoid wearing tight shoes or high heels if your heels are hurting.
Some important tips:
- 1. Hot water is something one must avoid in winter. As comfortable and relaxing as it may sound, a hot water bath must be avoided. Luke warm water will not take away the moisture from your skin.
- 2. Always carry a moisturiser with you if you want to have soft hydrated hands. Dry skin will make you static and keep ‘ shocking’ people if you touch them.
- 3. Before going out, always put on loads of moisturiser in your hands and feet. Apply moisturiser on your feet and wear socks and go to sleep. This will make sure the moisturiser has fully seeped into your skin making it soft and well hydrated next morning.
- 4. Don’t forget your lips this winter. Lips get chapped very soon and also lose moisture easily. For those who feel that licking their lips will hydrate them are completely mistaken. In fact it will remove moisture from them at a faster pace. To avoid chapped lips, investing in a good lip balm is a good option.
- 5. Eat a lot of fish because they have omega 3 fatty acids in them which is excellent for the skin. For vegetarians, omega 3 fatty acid pills are available at various food counters. But these pills must be taken under a doctor’s supervision.
Before I sign off make sure you have all these things in your handbag.
- • Vaseline Cocoa Body lotion – I recommend it strongly. Pleasant aroma and very moisturizing
- • Tinted Lip balm – Maybelline
- • Hand sanitizer
- • Hand cream
- • Vaseline small tub
I’ll be back with tips for oily skin & some useful & easy to make face packs soon.
Till then,keep smiling & have a pleasant winter.
General Duty Medical Officer,