[box_info]KHIRA GAINTHA Odia Recipe (MILKY RICE BALLS) ; Special Odia recipe for Bakula / Baula Amabasya #OdiaFestival #Odisha #IndianCulture Prepared by Simmy Routroy[/box_info]
In Baula amabasya, the odias prepare Khira Gaintha recipe in their house. which is an typical odia food .Special food is prepared on the day and is offered in temples. The food is also offered to Mango trees. The ritual is performed to get more mango’s during the ensuing mango season. –
- Raw rice-1 cup(instead of rice you can also use semolina(suji))
- Water-3 1/2 cups
- Sugar-1 cup
- Grated Coconut-1 cup
- Milk- 1.5 ltr.
- Crushed cardamom-4
- Bay leaf-2
- Salt to taste
- 1-Soak the rice for 4-5 hours,then wash and drain all the water completely and then spread the raw rice in a soft towel and allow it to dry completely.
- 2-Then heat a pan and dry roast the dried rice(this is to ensure that the moisture is completely gone).Grind it to a fine powder in a mixer and keep it aside.
- 3-In a pan bring 3 cups of water to boil.Add salt and 2 tsp of sugar to this.Add 1 cup of rice flour in small batches and mix continuously so that no lumps are formed.
- 4-Keep on stirring in low-medium heat for approx.25-20 minutes to make fine dough.Then remove it from heat.
- 5-Let the dough cool down to room temperature.knead the dough with oil/water to make it softer and roll into small balls(elliptical shape).
- 6-Boil milk in a deep pan,when the milk has boiled well put the rest of the sugar,grated coconut,Cardamom powder and bay leaves to it and mix properly.
- 7-When milk boils completely,put the rice balls one by one and let it boil till the balls become firm.
- 8-Add remaining water with 1/4 cup of rice powder and make a paste(semi-liquid form).
- 9-Now little by little pour this semi-liquid rice powder into the boiling milk in the container and continue stirring.
- 10-Boil milk another 5-6 minutes on a lower.Now the container out of the heat and let it cool.Serve it cool.