Rohi Macha Besar – Typical Odia Food
Rohi Macha Besar – Typical Odia & Bengoli Food
- 1 kg rohu or bhakur fish (ରୋହି / ଭାକୁର)
- 1 onion (ପିଆଜ)
- 2 tomatoes (ବିଲାତି)
- 2green chili(କଞ୍ଚା ଲଙ୍କା)
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder (ଲଙ୍କା ଗୁଣ୍ଡ)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (ହଳଦୀ ଗୁଣ୍ଡ)
- 5 garlic cloves (ରସୁଣ )
- 5 tablespoon mustard oil (ସୋରିଷ ତେଲ)
- 3 tablespoon mustard (ସୋରିଷ)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (ଜୀରା)
- Salt to taste (ଲୁଣ)
- Cut the fish into small pieces and wash thoroughly.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to it for marinating.
- Make a paste of mustard,Jeera and garlic. Cut the onion and tomato into slices.
- Heat a pan and Put oil and fry the fish in batches of 2 or 3 pieces at a time for 4 to 5 minutes. Keep the fried fish aside.
- Putting the pan again on medium flame take a little oil . Add cumin seeds and mustard ½ tea spoonful each. When the cumin seeds and mustard start cracking add the sliced onions. Stir a little.
- Add the tomato/mustard/garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt to it.
- Also add 3 to 4 cups of water.
- When the curry starts boiling add the fried fishes and boil it further for about 3 minutes.
- Maccha Besar is now ready to be served with rice.
Garnish it with coriander leaves before serving.