Western Odisha famous Ambila : LETHA/AMBILA (ଲେଥା /ଆମ୍ବିଳା) – This is the legendary dish of western Odisha , specially this was prepared by a specific community people known as kuilta (vaishya/khandayat). this dish was never forget in any special occasions.
This dish was mainly prepared with the mix of boiled vegetables which makes it more nutritious and the addition of dried Mango or tamarind give it a delicious/tangy taste.
So do follow these steps to prepared this recipe.
INGREDIENTS for LETHA :
- Vegetables cut into horizontally
. Arum (ସାରୁ)
- Tomatoes(ଟମାଟର)4-5 cut into cubes
- Bamboo shoot (କରଡ଼ି/ବାଉଁଶ ଗଜା)2tbsp
- Dry mango (ଆମ୍ବୁଲ)
- Turmeric powder (ହଳଦୀ ଗୁଣ୍ଡ)
- Salt (ଲୁଣ)
- Make a rice paste using 4tbsp of rice.
- Masala paste(coriander leaves, 4garlic cloves, 2green chilies)
- Panch poran, curry leaves, dry chilies for tadka.
(ପଞ୍ଚଫୁଟଣ, ଭୃସଙ୍ଗ ପତ୍ର, ଶୁଖା ଲଙ୍କା- ବଘାରିବା ପାଈଁ)
PROCEDURE for LETHA:
- Take a pan,add 2 tsp oil and fry the okra for 5-7min.
- Then with the same pan without adding extra oil fry the tomatoes till it’s became soft.
- Take a deep pan, boiled 3 glasses of water.
- Then add turmeric powder, tomatoes, bamboo shoots and salt, mixed it well and let it boil.
- After that add all the left vegetables and dry mango slices,and cooked this for 10min in medium flame.
(Add the coriander leaves paste at this moment)
- Then take out a radish check that cooked properly or not if yes ,then definitely rest vegies also get cooked.
- Once you satisfied with the veggies,add the rice paste and give it a quick mix.Then boiled it for another 5min.
- Now let’s prepared the tadka. Take a pan,add 1tbsp of oil. Then add the red chilies,panch poran and curry leaves fry till it’s release beautiful aroma…then put this over the prepared Letha/Ambila.
So here our authentic western Odisha style Letha is absolutely ready to have… best paired with steam rice.Do give it a try… feel the traditional touch