Suji Kakra – The typical Odia Pitha – Odisha Festival time Pitha
Suji Kakra is one of the traditional oriya sweet disc. These are mostly prepared during festivals and offered in puja as prasad. You can also serve it as snacks. These are delicious, tasty and healthy.
- Suji: 4 cups
- Meida (Flour): 1/2 cup
- Coconut: one
- Sugar: 1cup
- Cardamom powder: 2tsp
- Water: 3cups
- Oil: Needed for frying
- Grate Coconut in to small pieces. In a frying pan ,add grated coconut , 1/2 cup of sugar and 2tsp of cardamom powder, fry it till sugar melts.
- In another vessel heat 3 cups of water , add 4 cups of Suji and 1/2 cup of flour. Knead it lightly to form soft but tight dough. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the dough in to small balls . Add coconut sugar stuffing into it.
- Take care that the filling doesnot ooze out.
- Prepare all the kakra and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry the kakra balls in batches on a medium flame till it turns golden brown.
- Suji Kakra is ready to be served…:)
- Here I have mentioned Kakra only in one shape(as balls). You can also try with different shapes.