Soya chunks a synonym for veg. Meat. , have long been a favourite of mine. The very fact the boiled nuggets turn spongy, all ready to absorb any flavours you dunk them in, make them a delight to cook with. These nuggets are made like our Indian vadis, using soy flour – dried out in the sun and used as per need. The dried nuggets have to be either soaked in salted boiling water for a few minutes or boiled in salted water for 3-4 minutes, until they have ballooned out and become soft, before use…..
After coming to US when I saw these soya chunks in the store,I took a pack of it and wanted to try at home. I chose the small nuggets and I made a diff. Recipe with channa dal & cabbage which my mom used to make when i waz a kid
- 1 cup boiled channa dal
- 1 cup of soya chunks
- 1 cup grated cabbage
- 2 medium size onions
- 1 medium size tomato
- Ginger / garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilly powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Garam masala powder – 1 tbsp
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt for taste
- Soak soya chunks in hot water for 15-20 min. Drain the water and wash it in tap water once. (squeeze it if there is so much of water)
- Heat 1-2 tblsp Oil in a pan. Put the soya chunks to hot oil , add salt & stir continuously for 1-2 min till it turns to brownish colour. Keep the soya chunks aside.
- In a another pan heat 1tsp oil & fry the cabbages till it becomes soft. Add litl bit salt & mix well. Switch off the flame & keep aside.
- Now again heat oil in apan. Add bay leaf & Cumin seeds. when they starts crackling add onions. Sauté for 1 min till it turns to golden brown in colour.
- Add ginger garlic paste, haldi, red chilly powder, garam masala & sauté. Add tomatoes. Stir for 3-5 min till oil separates from masala.
- Then add the boiled channa dal , soya chunks , kasi huyi cabbage & salt . Mix well. Add 1 cup of water. Mix properly.
- Boil the curry for 5-7 mins on low flame till all the water evapourates from the gravy & gravy becomes thick.
- Remove from gas & garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice or roti.