Lost Recipes Of Odisha -Veg Magura | Saru patra Magura – A Typical Authentic Western Odisha Food #OdishaByFood
Sometimes I don’t understand why Odia Cusine is so underrated, Is it due to lack of popularity or due to our practices ?
We are forgetting our foods and recipes. Remember we can’t blame anyone else for ignoring our delicious food until we promote it ourselves. It’s our responsibility to prove Odisha is not only a state of Dalma, Dahibara, Chena Poda, Rasagola, but also many more dishes.
There are varieties of cuisines from each part of the state. Although we use similar spices but the style and process of cooking gives the dish a complete distinct flavor.
Check out this as well : Chatti-Janhi Purga – A Typical Western Odisha Food
This dish also known as Saru patra Magura (Colocasia/Arbi leaves curry) is a very famous delicacy from western odisha .
Recipe of Saru Patra Magura :
Ingredients for Saru Patra Magura :
- 9 Colocasia/Arbi/Saru Leaves
- 1 cup urad dal / Birhi dali
- 3 tbsp Black Mustard
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1tsp roasted cumin and red chilies powder (Jeera Lanka Gunda)
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 1tsp Panch phoran
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 4-5 Green chillies
- 2 thin slice ginger
- Curry leaves
- Mustard Oil
- Salt & Water
Procedure for Saru Patra Magura :
- Take leaves of colocasia/saru/arbi, break their stems, and wash them properly in water. (Be careful, do not break the leaves).
- Soak urad dal in water for 5 hours. In a blender add urad dal, ginger, green chillies, water and prepare the paste.
- In a bowl add urad dal paste, salt, roasted cumin and red chilies powder, 2-3 tbsp water and mix everything to prepare a thick batter.
- Keep the arbi leaves on a plate facing the upper surface and apply thin layer of urad dal batter. Place another leaf over it and again apply the batter, repeat the process using total 3-4 leaves for one whole roll.
- Roll it tightly from one end to other applying urad dal paste on each fold. Secure the end using some batter. Prepare total 3 sets of such roll.
- Steam all the prepared leaves roll for 15 minutes or till it’s totally cooked on a steamer.
- Let the leaves cool down completely, then cut them into round pieces.
- Heat a pan and add mustard oil on it. Now fry the leaves pieces properly from both sides.
- Heat a kadai, add mustard oil. Then add panch phoran, green chillies and Curry leaves, let it splutter.
- In a bowl mix curd, 3-4tbsp mustard paste, salt and turmeric powder. (For mustard paste blend mustard seeds with some garlic, green chilies and water)
- Now add the curd and paste mix in kadai, also add water and mix everything. Let it boil.
- Finally sprinkle some roasted cumin and red chilli powder (Jeera Lanka Gunda) and add the fried arbi leaves/saru patra pieces in the curry and let it boil. (Don’t stir, or else it will break).
Finally serve the dish with Roti or Rice.
Some more Blogs on Food :
- Bhendi Karadi Chutchta – A Typical Authentic Western Odisha Food
- Badi tomato khata – ବଡ଼ି ଟମାଟର ଖଟା – A Typical Odia Food
- Western Odisha famous Ambila – LETHA/AMBILA (ଲେଥା /ଆମ୍ବିଳା)
- Gota Masoor Dal in western Odisha style
- Mahuli Pitha – Typical Mayurbhanj Pitha – Check the Recipe
Debasmita, born and brought up in Rourkela, lawyer by profession and home cook by passion. I’m an explorer of regional cuisine. Love to cook our Odia dishes and experiment with foods. I always want to uplift our Odisha’s cuisine and bring out those hidden and extinct recipes. I’m a bigtime foodie and also love to cook foods of various regional cuisine.
If I will help eOdisha.Org to promote our Odisha and specially Typical Odia food ,cultures and it’s life style then why cant you ? Join here to promote odisha and it’s aroma . Click here to submit article .