Recipe of Makara Chaula / Procedure for Makar Chaula (Oriya: ମକର ଚାଉଳ ) – Oriya Festivals Special Recipes
Many searching what is the special odia food during makar sankranti and how to prepare odia makar chaula , getting so many search so we thought of to add the procedure so it will help to other to make it and to promote our odisha food and festival. Makara Chaula is prepared during the Makara Sankranti festival in Orissa. The rice used is preferably from the fresh harvest. There are slight variations in the ingredients depending on the regions.
Celebration of Makar Sankranti in Odisha :-
In Odisha people prepare makar chaula (Oriya: ମକର ଚାଉଳ: uncooked newly harvested rice, banana, coconut, jaggery, sesame, rasagola, Khai/Liaa and chhena puddings for naivedya to gods and goddesses. The withdrawing winter entails change in food habits and intake of nourishing and rich food. Therefore this festival also holds immense scientific significance. Devotees also worshiped the sun god at great Konark temple with great favour and enthusiasm as the sun started its annual swing northwards, according to various Indian calendars. According to the Sun’s movement, the days from this day onwards become lengthy and warmer and so the Sun-God is worshiped as a great benefactor.
Ingredient for Makara Chaula :-
- White raw Rice ( 1/2 cup ),
- milk ( 1 cup ),
- freshly grated coconut ( 4-5 tbs ),
- small sugarcane pieces ( 1/3 cup ),
- ripe banana ( 1 no. ),
- pepper powder ( 1/4 tsp ),
- chenna/cottage cheese ( 1-2 tbs ),
- grated ginger ( 1 tsp ).
- Pomegranate 100 gm
Recipe of Makara Chaula / Procedure for Makar Chaula (Oriya: ମକର ଚାଉଳ ) –
- Soak the rice for a night. Wash and drain. Spread on a plate and allow to dry for 2-3 hours to soak the watered rice.
- Grind into a coarse powder and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add other ingredients except for the banana and mix well.
- Peel and crush the banana. Add to the mixing bowl and mix.
- Once mix is done add Pomegranate seeds for a better decoration .
- Now do puja and serve to all and others to promote our Odia food .