#Mahendragiri Hill – The Pride of #Gajapati District – Bikers & Trekkers Must Visit the place #Odisha – Article by Sambit Mohapatra & Sajal Sheth
Mahendragiri mountain peak at the Paralakhemundi subdivision of the district of Gajapati, Orissa, India. It is situated amongst the Eastern Ghats at an elevation of 1,501 metres (4,925 ft)
On the way to Andra just before the Andra -Odisha checkpost on the highway there is right turn, which took us towards the Hill. The best way is to use Google Maps to guide the exact route. The mountain has sharp turns which feels perfectly awesome for a rider to drive through the mountains and reach the 5,000 ft height.
Tourist Place – Mahendragiri Hills
Shivaratri was once more celebrated with pomp ,devotion and gaiety in Gajapati , and the main function was at the famous and historical Mahendragiri Hills .The administration had made elaborate arrangements for the a safe and smooth Shivaratri on the Mahendragiri Hills . More than 50,000 devotees from all parts of the state had reached the footsteps of the Mahendragiri Hills from where they trekked up the hills through the Burkat Pass .Ladies and aged women in large numbers braved the chill and dark night to go up the Mahendragiri Hills to have a glimpse of the Shiva Lingas inside the three temples namely Bhima Temple , Kunti(Gokerneswara) Temple and the Yudhister Temple supposed to have constructed by the Pandavas during their exile . Police in big numbers were present through out the route and also on the mountain top to face any law or order situation . Drinking Water supply , generator run electricity , first aid , foodinf and other arrangements were also efficiently maintained by the Revenue Department who are responsible for this annual function . In the other Shiva Temple of the town devotees had gathered in large numbers to and the temples were also brightly decorated ,coloured and lit up with lights for the occasion .
In the adjoining areas the Raiwalsa Temple near Teakkali , Mina Jhola near Rayagada ,Makhalingam near Hiramandallam ,Putingi near Mandaasa were also the few Shiva Temples where devotees from this place had gone in huge numbers . Early in the morning the Suryo Udyog(sunrise) was the major attraction for the devotees who waited for the first sunrays to break through before returning back home
It’s is a popular destination for all over south-eastern Orissa during MAHAA SHIVRATRI.
The Hills :-
The 5,000 feet high Mahendragiri hills, situated in the middle of Eastern Ghats in the Paralakhemundi sub-division of Gajapati district is 175 km from Berhampur. Though the major part of this hill range now comes under Andhra Pradesh, the 4,943 feet high peak Mahendragiri is actually located within the district of Gajapati, 51 km. to the south-west of Brahmapur. The place is 26 km. from the sea and lies exposed to the sea-breeze. The river Mahendratanaya flows down the mountain in the east through Mandasa and joins the Bay of Bengal at Barua which was once an important ancient port.
Mahendragiri is foremost of the seven Kulagiris or principal mountains of India. The reference of Mahendra mountain in the ancient literature, accounts and epigraphy is wide-ranging and vivid. It finds mention in the works of poets Kalidas, Sarala Das and Radhanath Ray. Archaeological remains at Mahendragiri make an interesting study for the scholars. Sivaratri is the main festival here which draws a large crowd. This testifies the fact that it was once a centre of Saivite culture. The place is visited by about 1,600 tourists annually.
The Mahendragiri is a place of great scenic beauty. The place is surrounded on three sides by hills and thick growth of wild trees. The surrounding forests abound in peacocks, flying squirrels,elephants, spotted deer and even leopards and talking mynahs The view of the surrounding area from the top of the hill is enchanting. The range of granite hills on the north-west and south succeed one another like huge waves and the passage of clouds from peak to peak produces an ever-changing scene. The clear waters of the sacred Mahendratanaya, the blue sea at a distance and the mountain with its majestic beauty make Mahendragiri a trekker’s dream come true.
Root Map to MahendraGiri –
- Rode motorcycle till Ashram near Kunti Temple
- Kept car at Burakhat Pass and trekked till Ashram, also trekked till Bhima and Arjun Temple (2nd and 3rd top). Spent night at Ashram.
- Kept car at Burakhat Pass and Trekked to ALL the Three tops ie Bhima, Arjun and DaruBrahma Temple Topls. Spend night at Ashram .
- TRIVIA OF REEL ODISHA FILM ERA – #Odia Old #Film Details #OdishaTalk #OdiaFilmSpread the loveTRIVIA OF REEL ODISHA FILM ERA – #Odia Old #Film Details #OdishaTalk #OdiaFilm Article By: Taranisen PattnaikApril 28th is celebrated in Odisha […]
- Rukuna Ratha Jatra – Why this Ratha Jatra of Lord Lingraj – History Behind Lingaraj’s Rath Jatra #Odisha #Rukuna #RathJatra #LingrajTempleSpread the loveRukuna Ratha Jatra – Why this Ratha Jatra of Lord Lingraj – History Behind Lingaraj’s Rath Jatra #Odisha #Rukuna #RathJatra #LingrajTemple – […]
- Budhanath Temple – A 11th century Heritage Temple by King Chodaganga Dev of Somvanshi dynasty Near #Bhubaneswar , #Odisha #Travel #TourismSpread the loveBudhanath Temple – A 11th century Heritage Temple by King Chodaganga Dev of Somvanshi dynasty Near #Bhubaneswar , #Odisha #Travel #Tourism Article & Photo By: […]
- Prathamastami – The festival of Sathi Debi (Sathi budhi Maa) & eldest Kid (Podhuan) #Odisha #Prathamastami #EnduriPithaSpread the loveOdisha Festival Infos – Prathamastami – The festival of Sathi Debi (Sathi budhi Maa) & eldest Kid (Podhuan) #Odisha #Prathamastami (Article by […]
- Bali Islands : The Odisha Outside INDIA #Odisha #BaliJaatra #Bali #BoitaBandana #IndiaSpread the loveOdisha History – Bali Islands : The Odisha Outside INDIA #Odisha #BaliJaatra #Bali #BoitaBandana #India – (Article By: Taranisen Pattnaik – Photos: Taranisen Pattnaik […]