Macha Paturi Odia Recipe : The Typical Odia Non-Veg Food ; Typical Authentic Odia Recipe by Adyasha Padhi
- 4 Tbsp mustard seeds (soaked and drained)
- 4 Thai green chilies plus 6 more
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 small tomato grated
- Banana Leaves
- Strings to tie (Jute string)/Can use toothpicks
Instructions for Maacha Paturi :
For the raw mustard sauce:
- Grind mustard seeds,1 tsp salt and 4 green chilies with enough water to make a thick paste.
- If you want a milder sauce,then reduce the amount of mustard seeds.
Method: How to prepare the authentic odia food Maacha Paturi :-
- Salt the fish for five minutes with 1 tsp salt.
- Dip the fish pieces in the raw mustard sauce.
- Grate the tomato and mix it into the marinade.
- Cut the banana leaves roughly into 12X8 inch rectangles.
- Wash the leaves thoroughly.
- Clean an area of your work space,and lay one banana leaf.
- Place a piece of fish,and coat it well with the mustard sauce.
- Add one chili,and a few drops of mustard oil.
- Wrap the banana leaf around the fish and fold into a packet.
- Tie a string around it /Put a toothpick to seal the fold to secure.
- Repeat with the rest of the fish pieces until you have six identical banana leaf packets.
- Arrange them in a pan.Place the pan inside a larger pan full of boiling water
- Cover and steam for 20 minutes.
- The fish should be cooked.If you find the fish still a bit raw for your
- taste,simply wrap it back and steam for another 5 minutes till done.