Rourkela is a planned city located in the northern part of Odisha . It is the third-largest Urban Agglomeration in Odisha. It is situated about 328 kilometres (204 mi) north of state capital Bhubaneswar and is surrounded by a range of hills and encircled by rivers – Koel, Sankha, and Brahmani.
The city is also popularly known as Ispat Nagar and also as the Steel City of Odisha. It has one of the largest steel plants of the Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) known as Rourkela Steel Plant. It also has one of the National Institutes of Technology (NIT Rourkela) of the country. The city has been selected as smart city in the third phase of the smart city list on 20 September 2016. Among all the 27 city list Rourkela ranked 12th position on merit basis.
Every year, on 3 March Rourkela Day is celebrated. Rourkela has been declared India’s Fastest Moving City (East Zone 2-10 Lakh).
The name Rourkela originates from the local language of Sadri which means “Your Village” (Rour = Your & kela comes from the word “Kila” which means Village) . Src Wiki
Odisha’s Tallest Flagpole In Rourkela
Steel city Rourkela is set to get Odisha’s tallest tricolour at the height of around 230 feet. The tallest flagpole is being installed by the Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) to make a mark by flying tricolour.
The National Flag will fly high atop the tallest flagpole measuring 70 metre (around 230 feet) at sector-6 area in Rourkela.
Country’s largest hockey stadium in Rourkela for Hockey World Cup
Odisha chief secretary Suresh Chandra Mohapatra had said that the proposed facility will be developed within one year.
Major Tourist Destinations in Rourkela are :-
- Hanuman Vatika, Civil Township
- Mandira Dam
- Kanshbahal Dam
- Sarafgarh Dam
- Vaishnodevi Temple, Rourkela (Replica of Vaishnodevi Temple )
- Shri Chandrashekhar Mahadev Mandir o Vyas Gumpha(Cave), Vedvyas
- Shri Ghogareshwara Baba Mandir, Ghoghar
- Blue Stone Picnic Area
- Darjing Picnic Spot
- Indira Gandhi Park
- Ispat Nehru Park
- Ispat Jubilee Park
- Khandadhar Waterfall
- Lagoon Park
- Maria Pahad
- Nehru Traffic Park
- Pitamahal Dam
- Badalgiri Waterfall
- Ramakrishna Mission, Hamirpur, Sector-19
- Rani Sati Mandir, Biramitrapur
- Shri Jagannath o Baidyanath Mahaprabhu Mandir Parisar, Ahirabandh, Sector-3
- Shri Baidyanath Mahadev Mandir, Jhirpani Re-Settlement Colony
- Shri Dhabaleswar Mandir, Deogaon
- Koel Sangam Ghat, River Koel – River Dev, Jhirpani Re-Settlement Colony
- Shri Niladri Bihari Jagannath Temple, Jhirpani Re-Settlement Colony
- Palace of Keshari Rajvansh, Jhirpani Re- Settlement Colony, Jabaghat
- Sri Sai Mandir, Vedvyas
- Tarkera Dam
- Know the Rourkela on Rourkela Day / Rourkela Dibasa
- Odisha CM lays foundation stone of country’s largest hockey stadium in Rourkela for Hockey World Cup
- Change of working hours for odisha government offices
- #Rourkela Municipal Corporation Planned to launch an auto-rickshaw service by women for women #Odisha #RourkelaTIPS
- Ushakothi – The Rock Art & Rock Shelter which is a legacy of Pre-historic Sundargarh #Odisha #Ushakothi