[box_info]Khaja Recipe -The typical Unique Odia Sweet recipe and one prasad from 56 bhoga of Lord Jagannath recipe #Chhapabhoga #Jagannath #Odisha #OdiaFood [/box_info]
It is prepared in the kitchen of the Jagannath Temple of Puri daily for being served as prasad.
For Maida Dough:
1.In a large mixing bowl add flour and oil mix it well, then slowly add water to make stiff dough.
2.Knead it for 10-15 minutes or until it’s smooth and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.In a large mixing bowl add flour and oil mix it well, then slowly add water to make stiff dough.
3.Knead it for 10-15 minutes or until it’s smooth and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
For Sugar Syrup:
- Mix the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed pan and set up to boil, on a medium flame.
- A scum will be formed on the surface. Remove this by skimming the syrup with a spoon or straining it through a metal sieve.
- Put back to boil.Keep testing the syrup to check its consistency. To do this dip a wooden spatula in the syrup and lift out.
- Now roll the dough into a rectangular shape with the thicknes of a chpati (roti).
- Then spread the ghee+flour paste evenly over the rectangular surface.
- Now roll the rectangular dough from one side to give it a rope like shape. Then cut it into one inch size pieces. Roll each piece again to make about 5 inch long khaja.
- Now heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry the pieces of khaja on medium to low flame. After the frying is over, dip the khajas into it (one at a time) and take out.
- Serve after the same becomes cold.