Heritage PhotoWalk – The Best Way to Spread the Awareness for Conservation, #Bhubaneswar #Odisha #Travel #Heritage Article by Taranisen Patnaik
`HERITAGE WALK: THE BEST WAY TO SPREAD AWARENESS FOR CONSERVATION
How about walking through the lanes & bylanes of Old Bhubaneswar and gaining knowledge on the rich cultural heritage on our Temple City Bhubaneswar ! Thats what exactly happened on 19th June when a local tour agency in its initial months of operation shared the concept of heritage tour of Old Town. It clicked well & over 25 participants, some locals & some took overnight journey to reach BBSR, to have a slice of the experience. Such professionalism can only be expected from a big brand or state tourism dept which normally organises heritage walk on World Heritage Day. Kudos to DeTour for being the perfect host.
Our tour guide Satya Bhai shared his experience by explaining interesting pages of our city’s history, Kalingan architecture, reason for tanks being available adjacent to temples, cultural fusion between Budhhism & Hinduism.
The walk started off from Mukteswar & passed through Kotitirtha Lane, Ananta Vasudev Temple Road, Rath Road, Sari Deula lane & finally ending at Ekamravan-the medicinal garden. Even the drizzle failed to play any type of spoilsport. Almost all the walkers, equipped with DSLR captured beautiful moments of street life of Old Town, temple rituals, sacred kitchen and last but not the least, the language of love chiselled in temple’s architectural stones.
What I enjoyed most is the walking itself with fully charged members. The shelter at houses in the narrow lanes during light drizzles was a blessing in disguise since it made the residents aware of the heritage walk being organised & were eager to know the details.
This is perhaps the best way of arising attention for the conservation of heritage sites & contributing our bit to popularised the lesser known sites among the tourists. Expecting some more heritage walks to explore various other locations in & around Bhubaneswar in the near future.
Photos & Article: Tarani
1) Heritage walk was organised by DeTourOdisha, a Bhubaneswar based startup
2) Cyclists creating awareness for conservation of heritage sites
3) Sacred Bindu Sagar tank greeting the walkers .
4) Majestic Ananta Vaudeva Temple, the only Vishnu heritage temple in Shaiva kshetra Bhubaneswar
5) Abadha, the Odia delicacies – ready for the pilgrims to consume or serve to Brahmins at Ananda Bazaar (Ananta Vasudeva complex).
6) Heritage walk turned out to be a huge hit among participants with some taking overnight journey to Bhubaneswar to c atchup the event