Enduri Pitha – The typical Odia pitha prepared on Prathamastami !!
Enduri Pitha is a variety of Pitha traditionally prepared in the state of Odisha, India during the occasion of Prathamastami. Prathamastami is a ritualistic festival that is celebrated in every traditional Hindu Oriya / Odia household to pray for long life of the first born’s in a family, but is also traditionally attached to the Enduri Pitha. Turmeric leaves are basic ingredients of this traditional delicacy. The rituals of this festival are incomplete without this delicacy. Large quantity of turmeric leaves from Kandhamal district are sent throughout the State to be used for the preparation of this delicacy.
- Black gram ( ବିରି) 1 cup
- Raw rice (ଅରୁଆ ଚାଉଳ)3 cups
- Coconut (ନଡିଆ) 1 no.
- sugar (ଚିନି)5-6 tsp/ jaggery(ଗୁଡ)
- cardamom (ଗୁଜୁରାତି)1-2 nos
- turmeric leaves ( ହଳଦୀ ପତ୍ର) 8-10 nos
- firstly soak rice and black gram dal overnight separately.
- Use only the skinless black gram for the purpose.
- Wash the same thoroughly and then grind into a thick batter. It need not be a very fine paste.
- Grind leaving a little coarseness in the rice. Add salt to the blackgram dal paste and mix well.
- After 2 hours add rice batter and blackgram paste together and mix well and leave the batter for fermenting.
- For stuffing, place a frying pan on medium flame. Put the scrubbed coconut, cottage cheese and sugar or jaggery.
- Stir and fry the same till it becomes a little dry for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then add powdered cardamom
- Heat water in a idli maker/pressure cooker. Bring to a boil
- To prepare the pitha take one whole green turmeric leaf.
- Put a little batter on the leaf and spread some stuffing over it evenly. Fold the turmeric leaf lengthwise in such a way that the stuffing gets sandwichhed between two layers of batter.
- Tie a thread around the folded leaf to keep it secured.
- Place this leaf in the Idli stand/cooker and cook for 10 minutes.
- The Enduri Pitha is ready. Serve it Hot/cool.