Soft lentil dumplings soaked in creamy yogurt which is perfectly balanced with some roasted spices gonna make you crazy when you taste it for the very first time & you simply can’t control yourself asking another plate.
In Odisha people enjoy this dish with spicy potato curry ,chopped onion and hot green chili starting from breakfast to evening snack .And the city of Cuttack has a special eminence in making this dish so far. In the famous food joints of Cuttack ,they serve a combination of sweet & savory dahi-vada in a form of Chaat. Nothing can beat that taste !
As it travels from one state to another ,it got many name like Dahi Bhalle in Punjab, Perugu Gari in Telugu, Thayir Vada in Tamil etc. Most of the people prepare this on a festival day where they can enjoy with family members and friends. And who doesn’t love this version of succulent Vada..Don’t you ?
I prepared these yesterday for Rakhi celebration along with Gulkand Kalakand… I learnt this one from my Mom.. As you know i just love curry leaves and it’s my favorite herb ,so i have used it here.If you want can replace with fresh coriander leaves.
- Urad Dal – 1 Cup
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Green chili – 2 piece
- Mango ginger – 1/2 inch
- Black mustard seed – 1 tsp
- Chopped carrot (optional) – 2 tbsps
- Thick curd – 2 Cup
- Dry red chili – 2
- Cumin seed – 2 tbsps
- Sugar – 1 tbsps
- Black salt – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsps
- Salt , Water , Oil
Procedure for Dahi Bara / Vada :-
- Soak Urad dal for 3 hour. Grind it to a smooth paste. The consistency should be thick so add very little water to make a paste.
- Keep it for fermentation for 4 to 6 hour. If the weather is humid and hot ,it will ferment in 3 to 4 hour.
- In a bowl add curd ,mago ginger, chopped carrot, black salt ,sugar and salt. Add green chili paste to it and Whisk it for a minute.
- In a pan heat 1 tsp oil ,add mustard seed and let it sputter. Add curry leaves and switch off the flame. Add this tadka. Leave it aside
- Once urad dal batter is fermented ,add chopped ginger ,salt and stir briskly for 2 minute.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Lower the flame to medium heat.Drop spoonful of batters into the oil. Fry both side at medium flame until they changed color to light golden.Take them out and keep on paper towel.
- In a bowl take normal water ,drop the fried vadas and soak them for 3 minute. Take each vada and press in between your palm gently ,so that excess water will remove out.
- Drop vadas is prepared yogurt spiced sauce.
- Now dry roast red chili and cumin powder .Cool it and make a powder.Sprinkle on dahi-vada and serve.
More About Sai Priya :-
Sai Priya loves travelling, meeting people,knowing their dreams, capturing that essence of Life in my camera lens & while doing that I never miss a chance to explore local cuisine.Soon after my engineering when I moved to Bangalore I started exploring Food,different cuisines. I am so much fascinated by Traditional Food ,old method of cooking and all those heirloom recipes from Granny’s Cookbox. My Mom is a great cook & a Super-woman who inspires me at every phase of Life. Life to me is Living like as you like.I love to watch sunset sky ,changing colors of sky always brings me a positive vibes..a Happy Smile..enjoy walk on beach or simply a solo-time gazing strong mountains.. I am very Moody ,and in a pretty good mood i share my Feelings with you all here in my Blog.Hope you enjoyed reading my Posts.Thank you for dropping by. Cheers to Life !!