Badi tomato khata – ବଡ଼ି ଟମାଟର ଖଟା – A Typical Odia Food
Traditionally, the Biri Badi have been prepared by grinding the Udad pulse (split black gram Dal) on a sil-stone. This is a Special dry food made from Urad Dal (Black Gram). It’s a special dish which is eaten in Roasted or Fried form. In Odisha, it’s most eaten with the main course like Rice, Dal, Sabji. The main reason behind making this was it can be stored for years. Earlier vegetables are seasonal, sometimes also not available. At that time people used to consume this.
This dish is prepared in day to day life in every Odia family. It’s very easy to cook and extremely mouthwatering.You don’t need any masala to prepared this recipe.. which is good for health as well.In name of spices only you need garlic cloves and Green chilies.
HERE’S IS THE RECIPE of Badi tomato khata
- 2 midium (cut into small pieces)
- Badi/dumplings (10pcs)
- Garlic cloves 5(cut into half)
- Green chilies 2 (cut into half)
- Mustard seeds (1tsp)
- Oil (3tsp)
- Turmeric powder (1/2tsp)
- Coriander leaves (for garnishing)
METHOD Badi tomato khata :
- Take a pan or kadhai,add 1tsp oil,fry the dumplings till it’s became golden.(Take out in a bowl)
- In the same pan add 2tsp of oil,add the mustard seeds let it popped up.
- Add the garlic cloves and Green chilies (fry till it’s became golden, don’t over cooked it)
- Add the chopped tomatoes,at this time add salt and turmeric powder. Cover it with a lid.So that the tomatoes became soft quickly.
- After that add 1glass of water. Let it boiled then add the dumplings and cooked this in midium flame for 5 minutes.
- After that turn off the gas and sprinkle the coriander leaves and cover it for another 5 min.
(Our badi dumplings curry is absolutely ready to have).
Best with steam rice and pakhala.
Read one more food from