TOP – 10 HEADLINES – 30.01.2014
1. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh inaugurated the National Waqf Development Corporation (NAWADCO) in a move aimed at bringing transparency to management of Waqf properties worth more than Rs.163 crore across the country.
2. India has received total foreign investment of USD 306.88 billion since 2000 and 94% of this amount has been received during last 9 years.
3. Union HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju launched online courseware for seven undergraduate subjects and asked the state boards to improve quality of education and related infrastructure.
4. Under pressure to avoid a downgrade by US aviation regulator FAA, government has approved creation of 75 crucial posts in DGCA to carry out safety inspection of airlines and private charter companies.
5. For the second consecutive year, India has been ranked at the bottom of 25 countries in terms of protection and enforcement of intellectual property practices, a US Chamber of Commerce report said.
6. The recent turmoil in emerging markets has produced a new expression – the Fragile Five – and India is one of them.
7. BCCI to assume Central Leadership responsibility in the International Cricket Council.
8. Two Australian scientists have been awarded the British-based Rank Prize for developing an innovative method of identifying crops with superior water efficiency, the Australian National University (ANU) said.
9. Ethiopia’s capital Addis Ababa will host the 22nd African Union summit Jan 30-31.
10. Staff Selection Commission is set to conduct Combined Graduate Level Examination-2013 at some test centres again, following reports of use of unfair means at those exam venues.