Chhena Poda Recipe : How to prepare Odisha Nayagarh famous #ChhenaPoda #Odisha #Food #Recipe
Chhena Poda Recipe : How to prepare Odisha Nayagarh famous Chhena Poda #Odisha #Food #Recipe Prepared by Pratap Bhanja.
Chhenapoda originated in the Oriya town of Nayagarh in the first half of the twentieth century. The owner of a confectionery, a certainSudarshana Sahoo decided to add sugar and seasonings to leftover cottage cheese one night, and leave it in an oven that was still warm from earlier use. The next day, he was pleasantly surprised to find out what a scrumptious dessert he had created.
- Fresh cheese: 1 kg
- Sugar: 400-450 gm
- Semolina (Suji / Rawa): 50-75 gm
- Cashew nuts: 200-250 gm
- Raisins (Kishmish): 50-75 gm
- Green cardamom (Elaichi): 12-15 pcs, powdered
- Deshi ghee: 150-200 gm
Method for chenna poda :-
- To make fresh cheese you need 4-5 litre milk and 2-3 tbsp curd.
- Boil milk and add the curd. Let it boil till cheese and water starts separating. Simmer till water quantity reduces to more than half.
- Drain excess water by putting a lid over the container.
- Fry cashew nuts and Kishmish lightly in ghee till light brown. Keep aside.
- Take a big bowl. Mix cheese, sugar, semolina.
- Add roasted cashew nuts, raisins and cardamom powder.
- Knead to make soft dough. If you can make little balls out of it then it is ready to be baked.
- Warn a baking tray.
- Line the base and sides of the tray with ghee.
- Put banana leafs (or Shal tree leafs – Shorea robusta) cut neatly to fit the inside of the tray.
- Again, brush the leaf cover with ghee.
- Sprinkle some sugar in the ghee-brushed leaf-coated tray all around to caramelise the Chhena Poda.
- Pour the dough in the tray. Spread evenly and put to bake.
Traditional method of baking
- Once the baking tray is ready with the mixture, cover it with 4/5 layers of plantain leaf or an aluminium foil.
- Put burning charcoal over that. Else, you can put a lid on the tray and then put burning charcoal.
- Put the tray on earthen oven with low intensity flame. Let it be there for 1½ – 2 hours. You can check the status of baking by piercing a small knife or a clean toothpick. If it is done, the toothpick/knife would come out clean.
Modern method of baking
- Once the baking tray is ready with the mixture, put it in the microwave oven. Set the cooking time to 30-45 minutes.
- After the baking time is over, open the over door. Leave the tray in the oven to cool down.
- Your delicious Chhena Poda is ready to be served.