Puri – One Typical Authentic Odia food – Odia Luchi recipe
- All purpose flour (Maida): 2 cups
- Carom seeds (Jowan/Ajwain): 1teaspoon
- Sunflower oil : For deep frying
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- Water: 1 ½ cup
Preparation:How to prepare Odia Luchi recipe :-
- Take the flour in a big bowl,carom seeds,salt and 2 tablespoon of oil.
- Mix the ingredients well to form a sandy mixture.
- Pour in half the water and knead the dough to almost dry.
- Then again pour the other half of water and knead well.
- If you feel the dough is not sticking to your palm,then its ready.
- Keep the dough for about 40mins covered with a wet muslin cloth.
- Divide the dough into 20 small balls,dip half the balls in oil for lubrication and roll the balls to 4-5 inch diameter circles.
- Heat oil for frying in a deep wok till smoking hot.
- Reduce the flame and slide in the rolled out poori.
- Press the luchi, while frying with the back of a slotted spat(jhaanjarra),this helps in making the luchis fluffy.
- Take out of flame and place on a plate spreaded with paper cloth to let the luchis drain out the excess oil.
- Serve with any thick gravy curry (veg or non-veg).
Tips: Don’t drop the rolled out pooris into the heated oil,oil may splash out. Luchi even tastes good with granulated sugar or payesh, try it.You can use atta instead of maida but that makes the luchi look darker on color.You can even leave out the carom seeds while preparing luchi.