Baisi Pahacha – The Significance of 22 Steps of Lord #Jagannath #Temple #Puri #Odisha Article by Shish Sarangi
Baisi Pahacha – The Significance of 22 Steps of Lord Jagannath Temple #Odisha #Puri – Article By Mr Ashish Sarangi
The TWENTY TWO steps of Lord Jagannath Temple, Puri
To see the Lord of Universe or Lord Jagannath, one has to climb the twenty two steps (baisi pahacha in odiya) through lions gate (simha dwar). Many interpretations are there to symbolise these twenty two steps which are to be climbed to reach inner complex of the temple. Different religious interpretations are given to these Holy Steps so that one can feel the sense of sacrificing all sin and be prepared in body and mind to see the GOD with all holiness.
These steps are considered so sacred that pilgrims touch these in hand with reverence and also allowed their children to roll on.
“Nibrati prabrati e dui bhed jaana mana re
E dui rupa aapa barga thile nbrati nhoi nmilei jana tapa
Ananta aapabarga jini yehu brhma bhajanti
Baisi aasakti jinile nirguna brahma milanti”
Sishuveda, sishu ananta das
As per yogashastra a man posses 5 types of mana and 25 types of prakrti. Out of these 25 prakrti, 3 are Apara and 22 are Para prakrti.
The 22 para prakrti are:
6) Kosa or panjikarna
20) Mada or parba
A yogi has to cross twenty two para prakrti to see the lord.
Baikuntha, the place of lord vishnu, is situated above sapta lokas, sapta patala and ashta baikunth.
These are as follows:
Sapta loka Sapta patala Astha baikuntha
1) Bhu loka 1)Atal patala 1)Sri baikuntha
2) Bhubaha loka 2)Sutal patala 2)Kaibalya baikuntha
3) Svaha loka 3)Bital patala 3)Karanamaba baikuntha
4) Maha loka 4)Talatala patala 4)Sesasai baikuntha
5) Jana loka 5)Mahatala patala 5)Svetadeep baikuntha
6) Tapa loka 6)Rasatala patala 6)Parabyoma baikuntha
7) Satya loka 7)Patala 7)Garbhodaka sai baikuntha
One has to cross Seven Loka, Seven Patala and Eight Baikuntha and hence these are symbolically represented as 22 steps.
Also Read – Hidden Meaning Of Baisipahacha Of jagannath Temple #Odisha #Jaganath #Puri
It symbolises the Panca Matra, Pancha Bhuta, Panca Vija, Panca Deva and Jiva and Parama. Hence 22 steps are there.
Further it symbolizes twenty two tirthas of Shrimad Bhagbat with ten GOD.
9) Pancarasa Asta Sattika Bhaba
Hence calculating all , these are represented in 22 steps.
1) First five steps describes all five sense organs. Eye, ear, nose, tongue and skin.
2) Second five steps five breathing prana. Up-brathing(prana), down-breathing(aprana),back-brathing(vyana),out-breathing(udana), and on-breathing(samana).
3) Third five steps describes the inner beauty. Looks(rupa), aesthetics(rasa), taste(swad), smell(gandha) and noise(sabda).
4) Fourth five stepsare for pancamahabhutas. Earth, water, fire, air and space.
5) Twentyfirst step is for wisdom.
6) Twentysecond step is for ego.
After crossing each of these steps , a pilgrim can see the Lord Jagannath.
AS PER THE Bhagvata purana , there are twenty four avataras of lord vishnu. Out of these twenty two are considered most important and these in form of steps symbolises for salvation. These are:
According to belief, all sins of the pilgrims disappear when they touch these step even once.
As per Jainism, these twenty two steps of Puri temple represent Twenty Two Tirthankars out of twenty four. The other Two Tirthankars are represented through the Ratnavedi of the temple and the Grand Road or Badadanda of Puri. When a jain devotee enters the temple and starts climbing these holy steps , he touches each step with deep respect .
Baisi pahacha or the Twenty Two steps is the to salvation. In different bhajans , these steps are described as the place where one can examine himself and affirms his faith in the Lord of Universe or lord Jagannath…..